The leading technology in overhead gravimetric dispensing / dosing (patented) combined with our disposbale formulation and testing vials and / or precision formulation and testing vessels / blenders, and our user-friendly software, allow you to automatically perform formulation and testing workflows in the lubricants industries.
Example Customer Testimonial
Benefits of the FORMAX LUBES automated workstation comprise e.g.
- Overhead gravimetric dispensing of solids, liquids, highly viscous liquids WHILE heating, refluxing, mixing and
- Each formulation vessel with its own set of conditions.
- Integrated „forced“ testing e.g. via rapid temperature cyling, gasification combined with defined contaminant.
- Workstation fulfills the requirements for both oils and greases.
- Workstation fulfills the requirements for process technology (e.g. shearing and composition series).
- Workstation enables raw material mapping / reformulation, e.g. related to REACH.
- Decrease in cost per sample up to 90+ %.
- Increase in productivity by a factor of 10+.
- 4-Needle Head for volumetric liquid handling and sampling.
- Gravimetric dispensing (solids, powders, liquids, highly viscous materials) into disposable formulation and testing vials and / or precision formulation and testing vessels / blenders.
- The balance moves to the destination, increasing speed and efficiency.
- Balance resolution of 0.1 mg, or 0.01 mg.
- A large dispensing range, from a few mg up to several grams.
- Continuous real-time monitoring and control of all formulation parameters, inc. internal and jacket temperature, shear rate and viscosity, scraping speed, reflux and pH in an inert atmosphere if desired.
- Flexible adjustment of scraper positioning / orientation.
- Choice of scraper material e.g. PTFE, PEEK.
- Dispensed amount, mixing speed, temperature, time…, and other data are stored in a read only log file.
- Easy access to data with a convenient interface to pull results into Excel or virtually any other software.
- Interface to DOE.
Enhance your Efficiency and Productivity with our Workflow Solutions!
Chemspeed’s solution: FORMAX LUBES- A workstation that is tailored by flexible combination of the following modules:
- Blending module for up to 24 different blends per run with up to 60+ ingredients.
- Characterization module with tailored solutions for foam collapsing, VOC, TBN…
- Lifetime Prediction module with tailored solutions, e.g. temperature screening from -50 °C to +250 °C.
- Forced Degradiation with tailored solutions to mimic a hostile environment, e.g. high shear forces, high pressure, abrasion mimicking, surface enlargement.
- 20-30 ingredients like: Base oil, Friction Modifier, Viscosity Modifier, Anti-Oxidants, Detergents, Corrosion Inhibitors etc.
- Different ingredient ratios pre-formulations, temperature and mixing profiles. Example: If 7 different raw materials at 3 different amounts results in 343 experiments (73, full factorial design).
- Hydrolytic stability.
- Oxidation stability.
- IR measurement.
- Particle size distribution.
- Photo imaging (UV, IR).
- TBN / TAN.
- Foam collapsing.
- Compatibility screening.
- Soot addition.
- Artificial (metallic) abrasion mimicking.
- High shear forces.
- High pressure.
- Gaseous pollution.
Chemspeed’s FORMAX LUBES deck modularity allows the user to execute and perform complex lubricants or similar formulation and testing workflows in a fully automated fashion. High quality is assured by e.g. accurate viscosity, pH, temperature and stirring control. There is an increasing need for especially tailored lubricants, diesel, and gasoline for engines, turbines, cutting technologies etc.
Module of six formulation workstations with vessels / blenders, feed vessels and pump module
Expanded view of the precision formulation vessel / blender
Scraper, reflux condenser and measurement units with internal PT100 probe
Various stirrer designs: rotor-stator and dissolver disk
Brookfield viscosity tool
For the formulation of complex products such as hair care and colorants, Chemspeed has developed the formulation vessel / blender with individual control of temperature and mixing speeds. Additional functionality can be added such as pH measurement and vacuum.
Formulation module is a working entity consisting of 6 individually controlled, high precision formulation workstations. Each workstation with its own vessel / blender, feed vessel and syringe pump can be customized and controlled to match almost any formulation workflow.
- Up to 6 formulation vessels / blenders (150 mL volume) with independent stirring, scraping, heating and cooling.
- Up to 6 feed vessel (50 mL volume) with magnetic stirring and jacket temperature control (up to 90 °C). These can be used e.g. for the preparation of low-viscous pre-mixes.
- Easy integration of pH probes.
- An optional pump module with one piston syringe pump per vessel / blender can be added to the formulation module. The default volume of the syringe is 1 mL. The tubing connected to the external valve head of the syringe pump allows for semi-continuous transfer or continuous ingredient addition while processing a formulation in a precision vessel.
Precision formulation vessels / blenders technical specifications:
- Stainless steel vessels / blenders, other materials are available upon request (up to 36 formulation vessels / blenders on a FORMAX robotic platform).
- Individually controlled stirring and scraping for highest mixing, dissolving, emulsification power.
- Various stirrer designs: dissolver disk, rotor-stator etc.
- Stirring: agitation up to 6’000 rpm or 600+ rpm at 1’000 Pa.s even during gravimetric addition of highly viscous reagents or powders (the stirring performance may vary with different stiring designs and depending on product characteristics.)
- Conveniently exchangeable scrapers for maximum formulation quality (particularly recommended in emulsification processes with and non-flowing pastes).
- Scraping: agitation from 20 rpm up to 200 rpm in both directions.
- Continuous feed pumps and feed vessels.
- PT100 internal and external temperature control +/-0.1 °C.
- Independent electrical and fluidic heating/cooling systems for highest accuracy (from -70 °C to 250 °C at +/-0.1 °C accuracy) and reflux condenser systems.
- Precision calorimetry measurement (precision calorimetric probe 1W).
- Viscosity and rheology measurement / adjustment.
- pH measurement and control.
- Vacuum connections for degassing, extraction, evaporation.
- Different gas supplies (e.g. inert gas, air).
- Large choice of pre-formulation vessels (magnetically stirred, shaken, heated, cooled vessels, reactors, high pressure reactors, disposable vials, etc.).