Automated high-throughput and high-output workflow solutions for standardized and accelerated paints and coatings development. From single workstations up to unrestricted combination of sequential and parallel processing (object oriented workflow design).
Example Customer testimonial
The proven productivity speeds up product developments to a factor of 5 with only 1/4 of the FORMAX’ full capacity.
“All in One” or “One by One”
The FORMAX PAINTS AND COATINGS is a modular robotic platform enabling automated high quality formulations for paints and coatings. It has been designed with flexibility in mind, allowing you to modify and / or add new tools, racks, vessels / blenders, application and testing tools at any time even after your system has been installed (choice of up to 60 tool-features).
- Up to 36 formulations per run.
- The balance moves to the destination, increasing speed, efficiency and accuracy.
- Balance resolution of 0.1 mg.
- Large dispensing range, from a few mg up to several grams.
- Tools can be combined together to accommodate multiple workflows.
- Gravimetric solid and viscous liquid dispensing.
- 4-Needle Head for volumetric liquid handling and sampling.
- Continuous real-time monitoring and control of all formulation parameters, including internal and jacket temperature, shear rate and viscosity, scraping speed, reflux and pH in an inert atmosphere if desired.
- Easy access to data with a convenient interface to pull results into Excel or virtually any other software.
- Dispensed amount, time and other data are stored in a read only log file.
Example Formulation Workflow of Paints and Coatings
- Faster time to market (increased speed, efficiency and productivity of R&D activities)
- Better and faster analysis of the raw material and formulation process space.
- Full traceability an reproducibility.
- Decreased cost per experiment.
- Market proven scaleability.
Available upgrade options:
- Many tools, including precision formulation vessels and storage / ageing dispensing cartridges are optionally available as disposables.
- Formulation adjustment and analysis module: viscosity measurement / adjustment.
- Pre-formulation vessels and sample preparation accessories: racks (heatable stirred, stock solution etc.); solvent reservoirs; disposable (process) vials; microplate holders.
Chemspeed’s FORMAX PAINTS AND COATINGS deck modularity allows the user to execute and perform complex paints and coatings or similar formulation workflows in a fully automated and unattended fashion. High quality is assured by e.g. accurate viscosity, pH, temperature and stirring control.
Module of six formulation workstations with vessels / blenders, feed vessels and pump module
Expanded view of the precision formulation vessel / blender
Scraper, reflux condenser and measurement units with internal PT100 probe
Various stirrer designs: rotor-stator and dissolver disk
Cartridges to dispense pastes and highly viscous liquids (optional aspiration and heating for e.g. hot transfer / waxes)
For the formulation of complex products such as hair care and colorants, Chemspeed has developed the formulation vessel / blender with individual control of temperature and mixing speeds. Additional functionality can be added such as pH measurement and vacuum.
Formulation module is a working entity consisting of 6 individually controlled, high precision formulation workstations. Each workstation with its own vessel / blender, feed vessel and syringe pump can be customized and controlled to match almost any formulation workflow.
- Up to 6 formulation vessels / blenders (150 mL volume) with independent stirring, scraping, heating and cooling.
- Up to 6 feed vessel (50 mL volume) with magnetic stirring and jacket temperature control (up to 90 °C). These can be used e.g. for the preparation of low-viscous pre-mixes.
- Easy integration of pH probes.
- An optional pump module with one piston syringe pump per vessel / blender can be added to the formulation module. The default volume of the syringe is 1 mL. The tubing connected to the external valve head of the syringe pump allows for semi-continuous substrate transfer or continuous ingredient addition while processing a formulation in a precision vessel technology.
Precision formulation vessels / blenders technical specifications:
- Stainless steel vessels / blenders, other materials are available upon request (up to 36 formulation vessels / blenders on a formax robotic platform).
- Individually controlled stirring and scraping for highest mixing, dissolving, emulsification power, as well as to avoid residuals in homogenities.
- Various stirrer designs: dissolver disk, rotor-stator etc.
- Stirring: agitation up to 6’000 rpm or 600+ rpm at 1’000 Pa.s even during gravimetric addition of highly viscous reagents or powders.
- The stirring performance may vary with different stiring designs and depending on product characteristics.
- Conveniently exchangeable scrapers for maximum formulation quality (particularly recommended in emulsification processes with and non-flowing pastes).
- Scraping: agitation from 20 rpm up to 200 rpm in both directions.
- Continuous feed pumps and feed vessels.
- PT100 internal and external temperature control +/-0.1 °C.
- Independent electrical and fluidic heating/cooling systems for highest accuracy (from -70 °C to 250 °C at +/-0.1 °C accuracy) and reflux condenser systems.
- Precision calorimetry measurement (precision calorimetric probe 1W).
- Viscosity measurement / Rheometry.
- pH measurement and control.
- Vacuum connections for degassing, extraction, evaporation.
- Different gas supplies (e.g. inert or other gases).
- Large choice of pre-formulation vessels (magnetically stirred, shaken, heated, cooled vessels, reactors, high pressure reactors, disposable vials, etc.).